Acorn International Network Pte Ltd (ACORN) is committed to fulfill its obligations under the Personal Data Protection Act 2012 (PDPA) and is committed to protecting the personal data we receive in accordance with the PDPA.
This Policy also applies to all our employees.
- Why we collect and how we use your personal data
Acorn collects and uses your personal data for purpose of providing our Service to you and directly related purposes.
We also collect and use your personal data for other purposes including:
- helping to develop and identify products and services that may interest you, your clients or persons seeking or offering insurance;
- providing ongoing information or opportunities to insurers that we believe may be relevant (if you have requested to receive this);
- audit and compliance review purposes; and
- complying with applicable laws and regulatory obligations, such as anti-money laundering, counter financing of terrorism and legal processes.
- How we collect your personal data
We collect your personal data through the insurance proposals submitted directly by you or on your behalf via email, telephone or hard copy forms or indirectly from the policyholder who is your employer or from a third party or publicly available source where:
- You have consented for this collection; or
- You would reasonably expect us to collect your personal data for a specific purpose (such as investigation of a complaint or relating to handling claims).
In certain circumstances, we may be required or permitted by law or Court or Tribunal Order to collect certain personal information about you.
- Your obligations when you provide personal data of others
You must not provide us with personal data of any other individual unless you have the express consent of that individual to do so. If you do provide us with such data about another individual, before doing so you must:
- warrant that you have that individual’s consent to provide their personal data to us.
- Disclosure of your personal data
Where appropriate, we will disclose your personal data for:
- The purpose to which it was provided to us.
- Purposes which are directly related to the purpose it was provided for; and
- Any other purposes to which you may have consented, including to
- our related companies or third parties who help manage our business and provide our services, including our third-party service providers, such as payment system operators, IT suppliers, lawyers, accountants, other advisers and financial institutions.
- courts, law enforcement, regulators and other government agencies to comply with all applicable laws, regulations and rules; or
- requests of courts, law enforcement, regulators and other governmental agencies
We may transfer personal data held about you outside Singapore if permitted by law to countries including Australia, or Asia. We will take reasonable steps in the circumstances to ensure that the overseas recipient does not breach the PDPA.
- Security of your personal information
We take reasonable steps to protect any personal information that we hold from misuse, interference and loss and from unauthorised access, alteration and disclosure. For example, we maintain physical security over our paper and electronic data stored in premises such as locks and security systems. We also maintain computer and network security; for example, by using firewalls (security measures for the Internet) and other security systems such as user identifiers and passwords to control access to computer systems.
However, data protection measures are never completely secure and, despite the measure we have put in place, we cannot guarantee the security of your personal information. You must take care to ensure you protect your personal data (for example, by protecting any usernames and passwords). You should notify us as soon as possible if you become aware of any security breaches.
- Retention of Personal Data
We may retain your personal data for as long as it is necessary to fulfil the purposes for which they were collected, or as required or permitted by applicable laws.
We will cease to retain your personal data, or remove the means by which the data can be associated with you, as soon as it is reasonable to assume that such retention no longer serves the purposes for which the personal data were collected, and are no longer necessary for legal or business purposes.
- Accuracy, access and correction of your personal data
Acorn takes reasonable steps to ensure that your personal data is accurate, complete and up-to-date whenever we collect, use or disclose it. However, we also rely on you to advise us of any changes to your personal data.
Please let us know as soon as possible if there are any changes to your information or if you believe your personal data we hold about you is not accurate, complete or up-to-date.
If you make a request by contacting us at the contact details below, we will provide you with access to the personal data we hold about you unless otherwise required or permitted by law. We will notify you of the basis for any denial of access to your personal data. There are exemptions under the PDPA which may apply to personal data access and correction requests.
Acorn may require that you provide identification to verify the correct person is requesting the information or the change to the information.
We will not charge you for making a request, however if reasonable, we may charge you for the costs associated with complying with a data request.
- Opting out
When we collect your personal data, you may elect to receive information about our other services or products. If you no longer wish to receive such information, or you do not want us to disclose your personal data to any other external organisation, you can opt out by contacting us using our contact details given.
- Your consent and rights
- Contact Details
Attention: Data Protection Officer
167 Geylang Road
#04-01 Singapore 389242
Or Email: DPO&Complaints@acorn.com